Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, November 3

Tough times for black stay at homes?

Where are all the black stay at home moms? I live in central New Jersey, and it seems like there are only white stay at home moms in the area. Not that I have a big problem with the white moms, but anyone reading this knows that there are sometimes a few differences between child-rearing practices between the two races.

I have gone to school with white people since high school, and the honest impression that I get from them is that they are afraid of black people that dont' fit their stereotypes. In addition, it seems that these same folks are surprised that black people also have high standards for their children. I absolutley despsie when white people come up to my children in the store, or other public place and ask them to give them a 'high five'. I smile to myself whenmy children look at them blankly becuase the only thing they know how to do is shake hands. High five, yeah right.

On a recent visit to a playgroup - which was moslty white, just like most of the playgroups in the area, my son, who was 2 at the time, ran to greet another little boy his age. He was stopped by the mom who told my son, "oh you should be so rough." Rough? He never even touched the child! What the heck was that all about?

I have often been the only black mom at events such as story time at the libraries and other event held during the day. The other moms, while some are very nice, some often look at me as if to ask why I am not at work. They are also often surprised that I can actually speak standard English and have a working husband.

Times are tough for black stay at home moms - especially if we want to hang with other black moms with the same vision and mission for our children. What do you think?

No comments: