Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, January 20

Barack Obama's Face

My son is in kindergarten this year, and I am continually fascinated at how much he learns each day and how articulate he can be in expressing himself. Sometimes he makes me turn my head so fast at what he’s saying that I should be wearing a neck brace. This post may not be much, and may need polishing, but I wanted to get this out right NOW!

Now, I’m not one to get into politics and to rant and rave about which candidate is better and who’s not this and who is that. Although I am a bit right of center rather than left (as you can probably tell from my blog) to me, it’s all about the issues rather than the partisan politics.

My son’s school held a mock election on Election Day, as many schools did. Barack Obama won, 200-18 votes. I asked my young one why he voted for Barack Obama and he told me simply, “Because he has a cool name.” I thought that was the funniest thing I’d ever heard. (Maybe we should all vote like that and see what happens).

Saturday night, as he was undressing for bed, he suddenly said to me “Barack Obama has a brown face.” What? I said….and he repeated for me “Barack Obama has a brown face…..like mine.” I sat back in my chair, put my pen down and said to him, “That’s right, he does.” Inside I was thinking what an impact this presidential race has on the young children. My son now can truly believe that a man with a brown face like his can run for PRESIDENT! It does not matter about the politics, who’s right, or who’s wrong, it’s about the possibilities that Barack Obama presents to black children of America, and especially to my young black male.

Staggering, isn’t it?

No comments: