Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, June 14

Old Music? Am I Old?

"Everytime I look in the mirror/All these lines in my face getting clearer
The past is gone/It went by like dusk to dawn.....
Isn't that the way/Everybody's got their dues in life to pay"
- Aerosmith "Dream on"

I can't believe that this song is actually 20 plus years old. It seems like just yesterday that I was singing along with the radio in high school. Now my 4 year old son knows most of the words - for those of you who know the song, it's especially hilarious at the end when the vocal goes up an octave - my son is right there with it!!!

My daughter on the other hand, prefers "Old Time Rock and Roll" although in her three year old vocals: "Wock and Woll".

I try not to think of myself as old, but I suppose I am when my top forty is now on the classics station. When did "Bille Jean" become a classic? Well, apparently it now. I try to listen to the newer songs, but some of them seem so repetitive and infantile (recalling that crap "In the Closet" which started off pretty interested, but degenerated into nothingness.)

I am by no means a music snob - I bobbed my head to 50-cent "In da Club" but at the same time shaking my head at the lyrics. In the olden days (smile) I listened to LLCool J talk about his radio and Rob Base talk about "It Takes Two". I won't deny that some of the urban songs today don't have great music and great beats, but I just can't bob my head to a song that is just so nasty and ugly toward women and other people in general. This is not to say every single modern song is like that - on the other hand you got the new-wave Keith Sweat boys begging and pleading for a girls love. No problem there, except the fact that they use the same phrases over and over again, and without fail, rhyme 'you' with 'you'.

Oh well, I suppose I'm just showing my age - not a problem...let me just get my knitting and scrapbooking and go in a corner and bob my head to New Edition, AC/DC, and good ol' Bruce Springsteen. And while I'm at it, I'll break out the really old stuff like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. (Everybody loves somebody...sometimes.....)

Take care!

1 comment:

Paula Blanton said...

You know what, it is wierd to think Billie Jean is a classic. I remember my parents bumping some Police, Madonna, Hall & Oates and all sorts of other back in the day. Hey I even turn on a little old-school Blues- like some of that Mississippi back-water, home grown Blues. :-)

Have a good weekend!