Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, May 12

Black Moms Push Their Kids’ Educational Aspirations More Than White Moms

Haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly,. but will write more later!


Ok, here it is:

Here is the link to the article: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/momssurvey511


Well, I finally had a chance to read the story and I am ambivalent about the results. Now, as a married mother of three, I do expect my children to complete some sort of higher education, but I do not feel that graduate or professional school is a must. Although I do have my master’s degree (recently completed), I would be perfectly happy if my children chose a non-traditional path such as contracting (building) or writing. Everyone does not have to be a doctor or a lawyer, and to be honest those two career paths are certainly not as glamorous as they may seem on television or in the movies. For one thing, the malpractice insurance that you have to carry as a doctor is insane!! All lawyers don’t dress in great clothes and drive fancy cars – some of them are like that lawyer in that move Dark Water, who has an office in his car and goes to movies alone.

Now that I have digress enough, back to the article. I found it interesting that first of all, more white women than black women answered the survey. Even in 2007, it is obvious that more whites, no matter what the income level, have more internet access than blacks. True, the gap is small ( I don’t have the exact stats), but there is still a gap. Further, many of the black mothers who answered this survey were either never married or divorced – only 36 percent of the black women, out of @293 who answered the survey were actually married, compared to 65 percent of the white women. So it would stand to reason that in this sample, black moms are the driving force behind getting their children an education because they are the only parent in the home.

I expect my children to go to college. I don’t work, but I do have a graduate degree. I truly believe that education open doors to everyone regardless of race. I also believe that racism is alive and quite well in 2007. Therefore, I want my children to get the education they need to be successful in this world, whether they need to form their own companies or practices or what have you. This is expected and will be emphasized by both my husband and myself as my children get older.

No comments: